permanently trying to touch the sky

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Friday

The Inconceivable

A year ago the darkest period of my life was coming to an end, as I started accepting who I was and as I started the process of letting others know who I really was. I was emerging from a period of depression as I had never in my life experienced, a depression that sparked something extremely beautiful--the acceptance of my sexuality.

A year ago I could not even fathom the possibility of openly and uninhibitedly talking to my friends and family about my sexuality. Today, a year later, I am happier than ever with my newfound liberty. Coming out is not something you deal with once in your life; it's not something that just allows you to sit back as you try to comfortably fit the gay stereotype. To me, coming out is a life-long commitment to personal and collective growth and development; I didn't come out of the "closet" to run into a "birdcage."

Regardless of all the universal negative aspects of the gay community, I still feel at my best. I have never felt so honest to myself and others, so free and ultimately, so happy.

2 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Blogger sirbarrett said...

Congratulations! It sounds like you'll be able to sleep more soundly now. It's good to feel like you match yourself with perceptions of who you really are but I realize that it's never an easy matching game with the constructs that are already out there. I have both gay and straight friends who get sick of both scenes bcs of the associations, politics or whatever. No one likes to be labelled but we all need to claim something. Sexuality is such a personal thing that it's hard to try to justify even acknowledging it publicly, yet you are sometimes forced to bcs people expect you not to hide in the closet. So I'm glad for you. Keep actualizing.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Zocalo said...

congrats! found your blog via Blogs Canada Directory. I like your blog content but can't seem to tell if it's updated regularly (no dates?)...I'm used to LiveJournal not Blogger :(

my blog: www.livejournal.com/users/zocalo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home